You Are Not Alone…We Are Here to Help!
If you or someone you love has sustained an acquired brain injury, there is a place to go for continued rehabilitation, education, support, and community!
Schurig Center offers an array of post-acute rehabilitative and supportive services for survivors of brain injuries and their families. Based on neuroscience and current rehabilitative knowledge, our programs are considered a model in the advancing field of brain injury recovery. All services are facilitated by trained professionals with experience in the field of brain injury, or whose training is applicable to the needs of the clients who attend Schurig Center. Many of the staff have graduate degrees in psychology, art therapy, or social work.
Services are provided in a welcoming community center atmosphere where all individuals are accepted as they are. The center is a safe place where survivors and their families can share their experiences with one another and learn to cope with the changes in their lives.
We Support Families & Help Survivors
Rebuild Skills to Re-Engage in Life with New Purpose
- Therapeutic Program and Classes
- Adaptive Yoga & Movement Program
- Brain Injury Information Handbook (hard copy and pdf formats available)
- Expressive Art Therapy
- Individual/Family Consultation
- Individualized Therapeutic Computer Program (ITCP)
- Occupational Therapy
- Neuropsychological Assessment & Therapeutic Services
- Resource Referral Service
- Speech Therapy/Aphasia Classes
We are a Community Who Understands
- Family & Caregiver Support Group
- ABI Survivor Education & Support Group
- Keeping Hope Alive – Stroke Support Group
- Welcoming Community Center Atmosphere
We Provide Education for Professionals & the Community
- Concussion Education Program & Website – ConcussionMarin.org
- Educational Presentations for the Community
- Internship Training Program
What Makes Our Programs Unique
- Schurig Center strives to meet the needs of a wide range of functional levels.
- We individualize each participant’s program to address his or her particular strengths, challenges, needs, and desires.
- Participants are encouraged to identify short- and long-term achievable goals. Their progress toward these goals is reviewed regularly.
- Using a wide variety of media, we provide opportunities for creative expression, allowing each participant to discover or rediscover his or her own special talents.
- Our center is a nurturing environment where each participant feels supported and accepted as the person that he or she is now.
- An array of specialized services are offered, all on a sliding scale or free of charge.
The Importance of Post-Acute Rehabilitation is Clearer Than Ever Before!
Neuroscience research has concluded that the brain has an amazing capacity to rehabilitate after an injury. This neuroplasticity means that the brain can actually change both in physical structure and in functional organization. For this to take place, the brain needs to be actively engaged and challenged. This process of rehabilitation can take months, even years, to reach its potential. This is where Schurig Center comes in on the continuum of care, providing long-term, affordable rehabilitative services.
Schurig Center is pleased to collaborate with the following community organizations:
- California Department of Rehabilitation
- California Pacific Regional Rehabilitation Center
- CareMeridian, LLC
- College of Marin
- County of Marin
- Dominican University of California
- Kaiser Permanente
- Kentfield Rehabilitation Hospital
- Marin County Office of Education
- Marin General Hospital
- Mt. Diablo Memory Center
- Stress Management Center of Marin
- Sutter Health/CPMC
- University of California, San Francisco