Do you ever forget to take care of yourself? Many of us do, especially if we are care giving for a loved one or work in a “helping” profession. Finding time to take care of ourselves can be hard. But, routinely putting the needs of others before our own can lead to depression, burnout, and other health issues.
Self-care isn’t selfish.
By taking a few time-outs daily for yourself to reduce stress and improve your well-being, you’ll find you are able to be more fully there for others.
You can’t pour from an empty cup.
You must fill your cup first.
Self-Care Awareness Month in September is a perfect time to renew your commitment to making self-care a part of your daily routine. The term “self-care” may conjure up visions of expensive spa days or vacations. However, there are many simple, inexpensive ways to integrate self-care into our daily lives, and there are no “rules.” Just do an activity that you find enjoyable or relaxing and practice being good to yourself.
50 Simple Ideas to Make Self-Care Part of Your Day
- Meditate for 5-10 minutes
- Write down 3 things you’re grateful for
- Sit down at the table for breakfast every morning
- Read for 15 minutes before bed
- Light incense or a candle
- Do something creative without caring whether it’s “good”
- Write down one thing each day you love about yourself
- Watch 30 minutes of that show you’ve been meaning to catch up on
- Cook a special meal for yourself
- Take a walk rain or shine
- Get up 20 minutes earlier than your regular time
- Spend 15 minutes organizing a space in your home
- Give yourself a facial
- Go on a short bike ride
- Stay hydrated, drink half your body weight in ounces of water
- Eat a piece of fruit each day
- Forgive yourself for what you couldn’t do today, and resolve to try again tomorrow
- Treat yourself to a gift, even a small one, just because
- Sit down and enjoy a crossword or sudoku Puzzle
- Take a different way to work
- Wake up slowly…don’t check email in bed
- Buy fresh flowers
- Listen to an inspiring podcast
- Make time for play
- Watch “how-to” videos on something you’ve always wanted to learn
- Spend 15 minutes listening to your favorite music
- Cuddle with a pet
- Text a friend and let them know why they matter to you
- Take a bubble bath
- Watch sunset or sunrise
- Take a photo of something that makes you happy
- Write down one thing each day that made you laugh
- Spend 15 minutes drawing or doodling
- Make tea before bed
- Give yourself a hand and foot massage
- Take a power nap
- Meet a friend for lunch who you haven’t seen in a while
- Take a walk without your phone
- Go to the local pool
- Start your morning with fresh juice or a smoothie
- Walk 10,000 steps
- Take 10 deep breaths in and out in the morning and before bed
- Try Qi Gong
- Go to a park
- Visit the library
- Unplug and unwind…Turn off all electronics early
- Set a bedtime and stick to it
- Do something spontaneous or out of the ordinary
- Make time each day to do absolutely nothing!